Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Digital Narcotics: How Electronic Addictions Undermine Student Success

We're all aware of the distractions electronic media can create.  Has anyone not been annoyed by someone else's cell phone use?  Or put off by another's texting instead of engaging in the conversation at hand?  It may be unfortunate that we have, even though occasionally irritated, grown to accept these interruptions as innocuous and commonplace.

      I was shocked into reality when students in my College Success class responded to the prompt, "What is your biggest time waster?". Out of 21 responses, only 3 journaled that it was NOT some form of digital technology.  Eighteen reported various degrees of distraction by cell phones, Netflix, video games or social media.  The number of hours spent on their devices, and their self-proclaimed obsession with them, was an eye opener.  Here are some of their reflections:

·         "I waste a lot of time on my cell phone when I’m texting. I practically text every day and all day except when I’m in practice and class. On my free time I’m usually switching back and forth from a text to Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.... "

·         "I would have to say my greatest time waster is probably social media such as Facebook and Twitter. The stuff is so addicting but totally useless. I constantly find myself on it and not totally realizing that I am just wasting time.... I could probably just delete it from my phone and not have to worry about going on it. BUT IT'S SO HARD. I can't just delete it.” 

·         "I would have to say that biggest time waster is watching [a certain series] on Netflix. That show is really addicting to watch, so every time I get a chance I am on my computer watching it... The only thing I can think of to get me to stop watching it 24/7 is to take away my Netflix account/take my computer away from me when I don't need it."
 
·         "My biggest time waster would have to be, by far, video games. I spend far too much time on my video game and by the time I am done, hours have passed by.... Video gaming to me is a way I cool down and relax. There is so much to do when playing video games that help me keep my mind off of what's going on around me." 

·         “My biggest time waster is my iPhone. I'm up on my iPhone all hours of the night and I'm also on it when I should be doing homework.”

     What these samples reveal at is pretty self-evident.  Even some possible causes are hinted at—fear of “missing” something, personal insecurity, escapism, inability to manage time. Dare we say “addiction”?  Note taking, test taking strategies, reading skills, class attendance--all these are important elements of college success.  But I wonder... if the elephant in the middle of the room isn't something more, well, electronic?

    Responses from my students have moved me to engage in a more formal and extensive study of this issue on our campus.  I feel compelled to try to find some way to help our students use this technology to their advantage, not to their detriment.  Yet, in saying this, I am keenly aware that I am (and perhaps all of us are) also susceptible to the lure of the buzz, ring or song in the pocket.

3 comments:

  1. Mark - how remarkable it is to see this in writing. We all hear these comments, but to see them in writing is powerful. It guess it's sort of an addiction of sorts; well, maybe it is an addiction.
    I wish I could tell them how great it is to disconnect (without the device!) - read a book, take a hike, attend a reading, have a conversation, go dancing - you get the picture. It's my only way of staying sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Chris. But that experience is SO FOREIGN to many of their worlds! It's going to be an uphill battle!
      Mark

      Delete
  2. Let's tip the scales to manage our temptations and our time, to be sure. Let's ALSO tip our perceptions from the negative light and see some of the positive intentions behind our digital communications. Social media is a powerful way to share ourselves, hear and be heard on both the personal and political sides of life and society. We enjoy entertainment. There's no wrong in this and I subscribe to the 'same as it ever was' philosophy: we're as human as ever, and the 'ease' of technological distraction is only exposing us more deeply. Let's explore it with less judgement and more curiosity.

    ReplyDelete